Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a typical project take?
• Stock plans normally take 4 to 5 months.
o Stock plans are ones that we have built several times and with which we are very familiar.
• New plans may take a bit longer.
o New plans are drawn and potentially modified to meet different requirements for each local government.
Will you give me references to call?
• Yes, we will be glad to provide these to serious clients.
o That would be something that we would co-ordinate through our office. We try to protect the privacy of our previous customers.
Do you build outside of the Richmond Metro Area?
• Yes, while we primarily build in the Richmond Metro area; we do entertain looking at our client's request.
• We also do build on our client's lot, if that is the case, depending on location.
Do you do work other than CUSTOM?
• We are a custom home building company. Therefore, we generally meet with every buyer and go over the plans to make any desired changes before construction starts.
What does a typical project cost?
• Cost of each home varies, depending upon location, amenities, style of construction, restrictions of the subdivision, or guide lines for a specific property.
Can I use my own architect?
• Yes, you can use your own architect.
o However, we would like to be able to have final review of the plans and input information we feel important to the project.
How long have your crews worked with CAPITOL BUILDERS?
• CAPITOL BUILDERS, INC. has been in business since February of 1979.
o We have, over time, developed good working relationships with lots of subcontractors in the Richmond Metro area.
o The majority of our subcontractors have been with us, on average, 15 to 20 years.
Who directs the crews that will build my home?
• Bobby Thomas, CAPITOL BUILDERS, INC. President and Owner, supervises the field work and co-ordinates the schedules of the subcontractors and suppliers.
Do we ever see the Builder on site?
• Bobby Thomas, CAPITOL BUILDERS, INC. President and Owner, visits all the homes under construction at different stages of development.
If we need to make changes, how is that done?
• CAPITOL BUILDERS, INC. tries to accommodate all changes to insure that the customer receives their home the way they want it; and they are happy to move into their new home.
o Changes almost always cause delays in time of construction
Depending upon what is changed from the original starting point
o Changes are done when
We agree on the change
It is within the local code and
An addendum has been signed by all parties
How are overall changes handled?
• Overages are paid at the time the selection is made.
o Usually, an addendum is signed noting overage along with payment for the overage.
o Most of the time, overages are special orders.
Materials must be paid for before suppliers will order the materials.
Do you have other questions that you don't see listed here?
• Contact Us
o We will be happy to answer any additional questions you have about our homes and our process.